Hybrid bikes have become extremely popular in recent years as they offer the versatility of road and mountain bikes for the price of just one. These amazing hybrids provide the best in-class comfort, style and versatility giving riders the best of all worlds. If you’re in the market for a one bike does all approach, then considering a new hybrid is the best way to go.
Below, we’ve broken down the best of the best while looking at all the top manufacturers like Diamondback, Biomega, Fortified, Bikehard, Northwoods and many more and a few of the lesser knowns. Whether you’re an avid rider or someone looking to make exercise a regular routine, the following review showcases everything you need to know.
This review of the Top 10 Hybrid Bikes in 20120 gives you an in-depth look at what makes these standout from all the rest from a rider’s perspective. See for yourself what this unbiased review was intended for.
1. Diamondback Trace Complete Dual Sport Bike – 10.0d
- Easy to ride
- Easy to assemble
- Becomes a great bike for beginners as well as professionals
- Amazing suspension
- Can be great for various terrains
- Some users had issue with quality of components
The Trace Complete series is easily the most sought-after hybrid bikes we’ve ever seen, and the 2016 model still reigns supreme. Diamondback did it right when they introduced this hybrid which features all high-quality high-performance features. For competitors or those looking to take cycling to the extreme, choosing the right bike makes all the difference.
This dual sport model gives you the same great ride both on and off-road. With three sizing options including small, medium, and large, you can rest assured you’ll find the perfect for you. At this price you wouldn’t expect anything less, and Diamondback delivers a stable, comfortable ride all the time.
2. Diamondback Kalamar Complete Hybrid Bike – 10.0
- True Hybrid bike
- High tensile steel frame
- Does not comes pre-assembled
The Kalamar complete has become a staplemark among serious riders and claims the 2nd spot in this review. Complete with everything you need to ride in style and comfort highlighted by an ergonomic upright design that optimizes comfort in the saddle. The comfortable suspension bodes well for 63mm of travel which is plenty to get you anywhere you need to go.
The Diamondback Kalamar is made of all-steel parts which provides improved comfort and durability. For grip and control, users have raved over the DB Kraton grips and steel handlebar which provide even more shock absorption which your hands, arms, and wrists will come to appreciate. The aggressive drivetrain gives you plenty of gearing options allowing you to customize your ride on any terrain.
3. Biomega NYC 11 Speed Low-Step Hybrid Bike – 9.9
- Twin brakes
- Chainless bike
- Glows in dark
- 11 speed low-step
- Premium high quality parts and construction
- Harder to repair by yourself
Biomega NYC has become well-known for introducing performance cycles and the 3rd option in this review is no different. This 11-speed low-step hybrid bicycle deserves the 9.9 out of 10 and is best suited for serious riders over weekend enthusiasts. Giving you the best of both worlds, but optimizes comfort and control as a daily commuter.
Available in two select sizes including a medium 57mm and large 55cm model. Highlight features include a Shimano Alfine DI2 Electronic Shifting, mudguard, 2 disc brakes, white glow in the dark front forks, and a high-performing Gates carbon fiber belt drive. For some the price will be too steep, but not those who are serious about cycling.
4. Fortified City Commuter Theft-Resistant Single Speed Bike – 9.9
- Custom security bolts that keep your bike components protected from thieves
- Puncture-resistant tires to prevent
- Rust-resistant lightweight Aluminum frame + chain
- Weather-proof saddle
- Light weight frame
- Pedals may come loose with time
Impressing us all with a 9.9 out of 10 is the fist Fortified hybrid bike to make this review. Complete with a unique theft-resistant system, you’ll find there’s no limit to where you can ride or stop with this hybrid. It’s all made possible with unique security bolts which are unlike any other type which makes it nearly impossible for any would-be thief to steal.
Aside from security, this Fortified City Commuter optimizes performance on city streets with a comfortable, smooth ride. Featuring only one speed which is designed for city commuting, you’ll find the one gear system is all you need. Available in three sizes including a 50cm, 54cm and 58cm model, you’re certain to find a size for you.
5. Biomega NYC 8-Speed Hybrid Bike – 9.9
- Automatic shifting hub
- High-performance drivetrain
- Durable, strong frame
Biomega proves they belong to be mentioned among the best hybrid bicycles this year as they’ve taken years of perfection with road bikes and offered a subtle tweak optimizing off-road performance as well. This cycle stands out with an amazing Shimano Alfine DI2 Electronic Shifting gear system allowing you to customize any ride.
This 8-speed hybrid from Biomega includes a Gates carbon fiber belt drive system which is in a class of its own. Conventionally better than standard derailleur drivetrains, you’ll see a noticeable with quality and performance. Other features a mudguard, disc brakes and for those looking to ride at night the front forks are glow in the dark.
6. Northwoods Springdale Men’s 700C 21-Speed Hybrid Bicycle – 9.8
- High-quality components used
- Adjustable up and down hills
- Brakes respond quickly for immediate stopping
- Extras included like alloy rims, alloy quick release seat clamp
- Ranked among the top 20 hybrid bikes
- Gearing system can be a problem at time
The Northwoods Springdale is one of the most affordable hybrid bicycles in this review. This 700c models boasts a 21-speed gear system which is high-quality and provides easy, simple shifting. Aside from the price and gear system, this cycle stands out with a lightweight, but durable aluminum alloy frame.
The men’s Springdale is propelled by a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur. Other features include a rear rack, linear pull brakes, Alloy Quick Release Seat Clamp, alloy rims measuring in at 700c, and a black finish which has become highly popular.
7. Diamondback Clarity 3 Women’s Performance Hybrid Bike – 9.8
- Strong and sturdy
- Works well on all terrains
- Great value for the money
- Gives exceptional comfort and performance
- No kickstand
- Tires could be stronger
The women’s Clarity 3 is one of many hybrid bikes in a long-series, but easily one of the best. Where this bike stands out is the lightweight, but durable design making it faster and more practical for those looking for a portable option. Although it doesn’t fold, it’s light enough to carry up a couple flight of stairs for the average user.
Even tough this Clarity 3 is a 2016 model, it’s still rated as one of the best. Diamondback launched quite a few models the same year with the 2016 Clarity 3 still leading the pack. For women riders, you’ll come to appreciate the craftsmanship with superb upright ergonomics which evenly displaces pressure across your entire body.
For performance the 27-speed Shimano drivetrain allows you to ride anywhere with ease making this hybrid the perfect option for women riders for commuting, pleasure or fitness.
8. Fortified City Commuter Theft-Resistant Eight Speed Bike - 9.8
- Puncture-resistant tires
- Theft protection
- Technologically advanced hybrid bike
- Daily commuter or off-road bicycle
- Not completely assembled
Fortified introduced another theft-resistant model, but this one features 8-speeds. This hybrid claims the 8th spot in this review and gives riders the piece of mind while deterring theft thanks to the unique security bolts. The bolts and other components make this bike theft resistant helping you protect your investment.
This 8-speed Fortified City Commuter optimizes road performance while and adds in puncture resistant tires. Other highlight features include a lightweight aluminum frame and chain that’s rust resistant and a high-quality 8-speed gear system perfect for the daily commuter.
9. Diamondback Insight 3 Complete Performance Hybrid Bike – 9.7
- Upright riding style with the speed of a road bike
- Shimano components are reliable and a great value
- 27-speed drivetrain will handle any terrain
- Perfect for the daily commute, fitness or the local charity ride
- An ideal choice for beginners of cycling sport
- Not suitable for rougher terrains
- Not designed for professional level riders
The Diamond Insight 3 is a complete performance hybrid helping riders get exactly what they want and on any type of terrain. The Insight series is one of the best as we’ve seen huge strides leading up to the newest model. Boasting an affordable price while including high-performance parts, frame, rotors, disc brakes and gear system.
Some of the most notable features include a T-6 butted aluminum frame which is includes hydro formed tubes. There’s also a 27-speed Shimano drivetrain, double walled 700c wheels, Tektro Aries Mechanical Disc, 160mm Rotors, fender and rack.
10. Diamondback Women’s Clarity 2 Hybrid Bike – 9.7
- Improved gearing system
- Amazing and attractive design
- Long lasting and durable
- Better braking system used
- Strong frame
- Pedal hits the wheel while making a turn
The Clarity 2 is the optimal hybrid bike for women riders which offers the best in-class comfort and performance at a price everyone can afford. Diamondback has made quite a name for themselves over the years and when they introduced their first road and mountain bikes in one approach they instantly became industry leaders.
The women’s Clarity 2 features a sleek design and includes three sizing options including small, medium and large. Highlight features include front and rear handle brakes, comfortable saddle, and oversized tires for those looking for the perfect off-road commuter.
11. Biomega NYC 2 Speed Hybrid Bike – 9.7
- Folds to a compact size making it highly portable
- Max speed to 20 mph
- Intuitive LCD display
- Hidden, efficient 36-volt battery
- Zero carbon emission e-bike
- Belts are more difficult to fix as compared to chain
This 2-speed hybrid from Biomega NYC gives you the same great amazing performance we’ve come to expect, but with a more affordable price tag. This cycle optimizes performance at every turn which includes a belt drive system which is significantly better than a typical derailleur system. For road cycling, this commuter is second to none, but gives you 2-gears for even more versatility.
Scoring a 9.7 out of 10, this cycle gives you everything all Biomega NYC hybrids give you including a fender, dual disc brakes and superior craftsmanship. If you’re looking to get serious with cycling and don’t want to shell out a fortune, then considering the 11th option in this review is a great place to start.
12. Diamondback Edgewood Hybrid Bike – 9.7
- Suitable for all types of riders
- Suspension gives a great riding experience
- Adjustable seat post
- High-performance hybrid wheels
- Efficient and well designed
- Does not come assembled
The Edgewood has become loved by consumers giving it a near perfect 5-star Amazon rating. This sleek, but simple hybrid brings out the best in Diamondback bikes helping it achieve a 9.7 out of 10 rating. Standing out with perfect upright ergonomic design, riders have come to appreciate the added comfort you don’t typically see in hybrid bikes in this price range.
13. Montague Urban 700C Pavement Folding Hybrid Bike – 9.7
- Great bike for all the tall people
- Very fast for a hybrid folding bicycle
- Made to withstand different types of terrains
- Easy to fold
- Minimum maintenance required
- Does not come with a kickstand
- Only recommended for taller riders
Montague makes an appearance in this review with a 2016 model which has become a fan-favorite among urban riders looking for a portable, more practical option. This folding hybrid bike is not for everyone because of the price, but is perfect for those serious about cycling and the convenience of a folding option.
The Montague 2016 Urban boasts a perfect 5-star Amazon consumer rating and features a lightweight, folding frame making it easy to take with you on the train or bus. For added convenience, it even folds small enough to where you can store in a corner of the room or closet and doesn’t skip out on performance.
14. Bikehard Ladycruz Lady’s Fit White Hybrid Bike – 9.6
- Lightweight and durable
- Stylish looking
- Easy to use, high end features
- Low-leveled frame
- Durable & reliable structure
- No integrated compass
- Not meant as a mountain/professional bike
Deserving the 14th spot in this review is a hybrid from Bikehard. This Ladycruz Lady’s fit white cycle improves comfort and style and is adapt for any riding condition. Complete with a comfortable saddle and front suspension which will prove worthy if you intend on riding over rougher terrain.
Some of the other features include a lightweight and durable 6061 Double Butted Aluminum frame, Shimano C-050Rear Derailleur, Shimano EF50 EZ Fire Plus lever, 7-speed gear system, and Odessa LX spinner.
15. XDS Men’s Cross 300 24- Speed 52CM Hybrid Bicycle – 9.6
- Rust-free alloy components
- Strong alloy rim
- Shimano 24 speed shifter
- Shock Resistant RST
- Seat is slightly uncomfortable
- Limited availability
When XDS introduced the Cross 300 for male riders, we knew it would be well-received. This affordable hybrid instantly garnered attention with its aggressive price and high-end features. Best suited for looking for a lightweight, comfortable hybrid with great shock absorption when riding over rough terrain.
The XDS men’s Cross 300 gives you a 24-speeds allowing you to tailor your ride specifically to what you need with no restrictions. The rst suspension fork optimizes comfort fully complimented by the lightweight alloy frame which comes in at 52cm. Other features include rust resistant alloy parts, Shimano 24-speed shifter and derailleur, and alloy rims that are double walled.
16. SE Bikes Tripel 3 Speed Bike – 9.6
- Available in three different sizes that can better fit every height
- Offering in three colors; Green, Black, Deep Red
- Features make it strong enough to handle any hilly terrain
- The gearing is not very high profile but still go uphill perfectly
- High-Profile Double-Wall Rims
- Requires proper space for storage or parking
SE Bikes is one of the smaller manufacturers of bicycles, but this doesn’t mean they’re not worth considering. Claiming the 16th spot is a 3-speed hybrid which is priced to sell giving you four size options including 49, 52, 55, and 58cm. Highlighted by a strong and durable Hi-Ten steel urban style frame, you can rest assured you’re getting a durable and comfortable ride.
The SE Bikes Tripel gives you added accessories you don’t typically see including a water bottle and mounts for fenders. You’ll also see a Hi-Ten SE steel straight leg fork with a wider than usual tire clearance, Kenda Kwest 700 x 32c tires, and a Shimano Nexus 3-speed read hub.
17. Concord SC700 Men’s Hybrid Bike – 9.6
- Adjustable seat
- Great speed
- Lower shipping costs
- Back-friendly comfortable posture
- Rugged visual appeal
- Difficult to put together by yourself
- No color varieties
The Concord SC700 is not your typical hybrid which is what makes it so popular. Being one of the newer models out there it’s made quite an impact for those looking for something simple and affordable. The simple design gives you amazing road and mountain capability without costing you a fortune to get there.
The SC700 is highlighted by a Shimano Tourney drivetrain 21-speed gear system, Reva twist shifters, alloy wheels, front quick release axle, and linear front and rear handle brakes. The aluminum frame is lightweight, yet durable and provides more comfort than most other hybrids in its class.
18. Polygon Bikes Adult Path I8 Bicycle – 9.6
- Alutech hydroformed alloy frame and fork
- Shimano Nexus 8 Speed internally geared or speedy ride
- Gates carbon drive system for smooth performance
- Entity expert handlebar, stem and seat post
- Shimano hydraulic disc brakes to provide confident stopping power
- Comparatively expensive
- Chances of development of rust and corrosion
Coming in with a slightly steeper than average price is the Adult Path I8 which is a performance based hybrid. From Polygon Bikes we wouldn’t expect anything less with the Patch I8 being a durable, lightweight model fully optimizing cycling on any riding terrain.
For mountain riding the Shimano Acera drivetrain gives you 27 speeds allowing you to take on any terrain with ease. For those looking for reliability, it also features Shimano hydraulic disc brakes which improve brake responsiveness while riding in any weather condition.
19. Diamondback Calico Women’s Complete Dual Sport Bike – 9.6
- Strong Frame
- Fast Speed
- Soft seat
- Disc Brakes
- Only for women
The women’s 2016 Calico is a complete dual sport bike from Diamondback integrating everything that’s made them so successful. When it comes to cycling there are a few brands out there that represent quality, performance and value in one with Diamondback being one of the most recognized names.
The 2016 Calico sport bike adds in the Trace 6061-T6 Butted Aluminum Dual Sport frame which has become highly praised. Other features include a Shimano Acera , SR Suntour XTC triple cranks, Shimano EZ-Fire shifters, 2-speed gear system, and Diamondback’s dual sport saddle for improved comfort over any terrain.
20. Head Revive 700C Wheels Men’s Black Hybrid Road Bicycle – 9.5
- Cheaper than other premium models
- Free shipping
- New design
- Tight Brakes
- Aluminum rims and strong frame
- Gender specific
This men’s hybrid bike from Head Revive rounds out this review claiming the 20th spot as the best hybrid bike this year. Scoring a 9.5 out of 10, Head Revive proves that even the lesser known manufacturers have what it takes to stack up with the bigger names. Highlighted by a high-quality unisex molded fork design, this hybrid provides the perfect balance of style, weight and durability.
Sitting atop 700c wheels and providing added comfort with an aluminum frame and SR Suntour NEX Suspension Fork which makes it perfect for any riding condition. Other features include a Shimano RD-M310 Altus rear derailleur drivetrain, Promax MV-295L Front and Rear Aluminum Brakes, and aluminum seat post and stem.
At this price you wouldn’t expect to get high-performance features like this, but Head Revive did it.
Hopefully this review of the best hybrid bikes in 2020 gives you everything you’re looking for to make the best buying decision. If you have anything to add or have any unanswered questions, feel free to leave us a comment below.